Wednesday, May 8, 2013

LIMPING ALONG IN LIMBOURG

Not a lot of news or photos today. My mind was constantly monitoring the condition of my feet and right knee. Feet were happy in their new shoes (which are visible even during total eclipses), but my knee continued to hurt, despite Aleve, ointment, and an elastic wrap. I'm going to take this day by day. It's so hard to know if this is something major or just a passing annoyance.

After leaving the city of Maastricht, Netherlands, the trail re-entered Belgium, into the province of Limburg. Most of the day was spent in vast forest preserves, where I clung to the GR5 white and red markings for dear life, as other trails constantly appeared and then veered off. I was surprised there were so many forests in such a populated area. And flat, although this can challenge the legs in a new way.

In order to keep going with this gimpy knee, I am finding ways to cut tangents when the GR5 meanders a bit too much. My goal is to walk the distance between the North Sea and the Mediterranean, not necessarily every inch of the GR5.  But I also want to enjoy this trip and not just "get by."

I'm at a very welcoming inn tonight in the town of Zutendaal,Belgium. A group of
Belgium male cyclists are also staying here, all in their matching blue and black "kit."  I was actually mulling over the idea today of buying a bike here and finishing up the trip on two wheels. But I finally decided to stick to my original plan.

4 comments:

  1. McDonalds for supper last night! I love the new shoes. Of course I am in favor of finishing on a bike. Take Care! Love, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm continuing on foot but am about ready to call it a wash for this year. Today (Thursday) will be the day to decide, I think.

      Delete
  2. Is there any way you could visit a doctor and have the knee looked at? I hope it's not anything serious. I worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about seeing a doctor but that would take up a day. I'll be in a bigger town tonight (Thursday). I'll see how things feel then. Thank you for your concern.

      Delete